Courgette, Basil and Feta Baked Eggs
By Charlotte Clarke
Author and food blogger Izy Hossack has created a delicious baked eggs recipe using our Heritage Breeds Copper Marans Hen Eggs and one of her favourite ingredients: the humble courgette!
Using the courgette along with basil, feta and perfectly baked eggs, Izy has created a meal that is simple yet mouth-watering – a sure-fire hit among your friends and family.
Ever had Shakshuka? This is its greener cousin. A fresher take on the dish but still with a salty kick from the feta. A top tip for this is to keep a close eye on your eggs as they bake – a perfectly runny yolk is essential for bread-dunking!
Using Heritage Breeds fresh Copper Marans Hen Eggs, the yolks in this baked eggs recipe are beautifully golden so your meal will look as good as it tastes.
Servings 2 people
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- 3 medium courgettes
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 Copper Marans Eggs
- 100 g frozen spinach
- 3 tbsp. finely grated parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- 30 g feta cheese
- handful of basil leaves
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Once hot, add the onion to the pan with a pinch of salt and cook until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Slice 2 of the courgettes into coins about 2mm thick. Coarsely grate the last courgette.
- Add the sliced courgettes to the pan on the heat and another pinch of salt then sauté on medium-low, until golden all over – about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, grated courgette and frozen spinach with 60ml of water. Cover with a lid or large plate and leave on a low heat for the spinach to defrost (5-7 minutes). Remove the lid (careful of the steam!).
- Spoon the contents of the pan to a 20cm pie tin (or oven proof frying pan) – you’re going to be baking the eggs in this.
- Make 4 little wells in the mixture and crack the eggs into each well. Sprinkle with salt, black pepper and the grated Parmesan.
- Place under the grill in your oven until the whites are just set and the yolks are still slightly runny – 3-5 minutes. Remove from the oven and crumble over the feta cheese. Sprinkle on more black pepper and the basil leaves. Serve immediately with toasted bread for dipping.