Avocado on toast with chipotle chilli
By Charlotte Clarke
This healthy breakfast-style food is the simplest of egg recipes and proof that a nourishing meal need not take up too much time.
These humble ingredients are packed with complex carbs, protein, healthy fats and heaps of flavour. The humble egg has long been a breakfast staple and there’s a good reason why. Egg nutritional benefits are in generous supply; rich in protein and high in omega-3 fatty acids, eggs effectively keep your hunger cravings at bay. Therefore, avocado on toast with egg is not only delicious, but will also leave you feeling satisfied for longer.
To make sure your egg is impeccably poached, we advise leaving to simmer for 3 minutes to ensure a perfectly oozing egg yolk. For a glorious tasting poached egg, we recommend our Heritage Breeds Copper Maran Hen Eggs due to their deep amber yolks.
Although traditionally branded a breakfast meal, avocado on toast is certainly a versatile dish that wouldn’t look out of place at the dinner table. Once this recipe is in your repertoire, a healthy and easy meal is only a few egg cracks away.
- 2 slices of sourdough, toasted
- 2 Heritage Breeds Copper Maran hen eggs
- Half a ripe avocado
- Salt to serve
- Pepper to serve
- Chipotle chilli flakes to serve
- Halve an avocado and slice the flesh lengthways
- Scoop the avocado into a bowl and mash a little
- Bring a saucepan of water to a steady simmer and add a small dash of vinegar
- Crack the eggs into individual ramekins or cups
- Create a whirlpool in the water and slowly tip the eggs into the centre
- Leave the eggs to cook for approximately 3 minutes
- Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon
- Pile the avocado onto your toast and top with a poached egg
- Sprinkle with the chipotle chilli flakes, salt and pepper